Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Publication Account

Date 2013

Event ID 966945

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/966945

CUPAR STATION AND GRANARY

Cupar station opened in 1847 to designs by Thomas Grainger, an Italianate composition with projecting eaves, a two storey centrepiece and two storey end pavilions. The effect is magnified by lotus capitals to the awning and a semielliptically arched bridge with battlements, also by Grainger.

A siding led to an 1840s granary, 4 storeys with arched ground floor openings, converted in the early 1990s into a small business gateway (before that term was used). Adjacent coal drops are to one side (like staithes, using bottom-opening waggons) and to the other the old Jail, 1814, for long a rather grand seed warehouse because it did not look forbidding enough for malefactors.

Small wrought iron footbridge, 32ft span, over the Eden at Waterend Road to serve powerloom factories (now demolished) of the 1860s.

M Watson, 2013

People and Organisations

References