Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains

Date 3 October 2013

Event ID 965002

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type World War One Audit of Surviving Remains

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/965002

Having made enquiries about buying Port Edgar harbour as early as 1911, Admiralty bought the port in 1916 to develop it as a base for Torpedo Boat Destroyers. Originally planned to accommodate up to 52 destroyers, in the end 66 could be berthed. The Admiralty's work included dredging the harbour and completing the east breakwater, which the harbour's previous owners, the North British Railway Company, had not done. The base was commissioned in December 1917, but the partly-completed base had probably been in use before then.

The majority of the buildings that survive in what is now Port Edgar Marina are probably of First World War date, although the base was again used in the Second World War.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 3 October 2013.

People and Organisations

References