Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glen Lean Gunpowder Mills

Date 17 December 2009

Event ID 914011

Category Management

Type Site Management

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/914011

The remains of several large stone buildings, all contained within a high stone wall. This was one of four large black gunpowder works which operated in Argyll in the 19th century, attracted to the area by its lack of sizeable settlements, its accessibility by sea, and the availability of wood suitable for making charcoal.

Incorporating was the most dangerous operation in gunpowder manufacture, apart from drying. The works was operated by Curtis's and Harvey, which became part of Nobel's Explosives Co Ltd. Latterly it made sporting powder. It closed in 1892. (RCAHMS)

People and Organisations

References