Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
Sir Basil Spence
Event ID 883897
Category Descriptive Accounts
Type Sir Basil Spence
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/883897
Building Notes
In 1958 Basil Spence and Partners were commissioned to build an extension to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary to accommodate the Blood Transfusion Unit.
The extension was built between the southern wings of the Victorian hospital buildings. It was two-storey and T-shaped on plan with a central corridor serving all the rooms. The building provided facilities for blood donation as well as laboratories and offices. The extension was officially opened 6 June 1961 and demolished in 2005 as part of a redevelopment of the site.
Archive Details and Summary
The Sir Basil Spence Archive holds two photographs on this project. The Spence, Glover & Ferguson Collection, also held by RCAHMS, contains 75 drawings and seven photographs of the Blood Transfusion Unit. The drawings include plans, sections and elevations of the whole scheme, as well as details of room layouts and equipment. The photographs include interior and exterior views by the photographer Henk Snoek, taken soon after the building was opened.
This text was written as one of the outputs of the Sir Basil Spence Archive Project, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, 2005-08.