Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 864516

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/864516

NF77SW 15 7499 7135.

A Clyde-type, chambered long cairn, wedge-shaped, 95ft (29m) long E-W with, at the E end, an impressive facade, mainly orthostatic, through which the chamber, c. 34 1/2 ft (10.5m) long, was entered and in front of which was a paved forecourt. A kerb consisting of massive blocks, averaging 2 1/2ft (0.7m) high can be traced in stretches. The cairn was severely damaged and robbed for the building of an iron age aisled round-house (NF77SW 24) which was inserted into its W end. The site was excavated by Scott in the 1930s and 1940s; finds from the cairn, now in NMAS, include beaker sherds.

E Beveridge 1911; RCAHMS 1928;W L Scott 1935; 1947; A S Henshall 1972.

This chambered cairn is so mutilated that only the chamber and passage are surveyable.

Visited by OS 17 June 1965.

This chambered cairn is situated on the leading edge of a terrace in peat moorland and is largely as planned and described by Henshall. The cairn material has been heavily robbed for the construction of an Iron Age round house that overlies its W end (NF77SW 24). At its E end, the orthostats of its once impressive facade have fallen and lie displaced, those on the S originally forming a near continuous line of six slabs reducing in height towards the outer edge of the cairn. The chamber, entered from the E, comprises five compartments and is set on a slight curve, though it is not central to the surviving cairn material.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG, SPH) 31 August 2009

People and Organisations

References