Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 843708

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/843708

NO19SE 8 18629 90942

Bridge of Dee [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1971.

For successor and present (New) Invercauld Bridge, see NO19SE 7.

For tollhouse ('lodge') at N end of bridge, see NO19SE 10.

This bridge, on the line of the military road, was built c. 1752 and closed September 1859.

Visited by OS (NKB) October 1967

A Graham 1966.

(Location cited as NO 187 909). Built 1752 by engineer Major William Caulfield [Caulfeild]. A remarkable 6-arch, hump-backed rubble bridge with segmental arches increasing in size to the centre. By-passed by the Invercauld Bridge (NO19SE 7) in 1859.

J R Hume 1977.

(Location cited as NO 186 909). Old Invercauld Bridge: a six-span, hump-backed bridge of rubble, each span having a different size. It stands on a rocky bend in the river, with reefs of rock across the flow; Caulfield [Caulfeild] had to do some blasting to prepare the site.

Looking at it from the downstream [SE] side, the largest span is the third from the right bank, under the highest point of the roadway, but the second is also a fair size. The fifth and sixth, which are hidden by trees and normally on completely dry land, are very small, the last measuring only 10ft [3.05m] across and 54ins [1.37m] high. These two are effectively flood arches, whereas the first on the far bank is not.This asymmetry in no way detracts from the bridge's appearance. Rather, it enhances it, as do the unusual tall triangular cutwaters, which have roofs of large flags.

The parapet is high at the hump, a good 50ins [1.27m] but it comes down to 23ins [0.58m] before the ends, which are splayed on the N side. It is 17ins [0.43m] wide and topped with flat stones of different sizes.

G Nelson 1990.

Old Invercauld Bridge, 1753, Major Caulfield [Caulfeild]. Military bridge to link Blairgowrie with Corgarff and Inverness. Humpbacked, high segmented arch, with lesser arches ay each side, and massive V-cutwaters. Superseded in 1859 by New Invercauld Bridge (NO19SE 7).

J Geddes 2001.

Rubble, hump-backed, high segmental arch bridge with lesser arches at each end. Designed by Major Caulfield [Caulfeild], engineer, 1753.

This site was recorded as part of the Listed Buildings Recording Programme (LBRP) for 2001-02.

Information from RCAHMS (NMC), 2002.

This bridge carries the former line of the A93 public road over the River Dee a short distance to the SE of the present Invercauld Bridge (NO19SE 7). For origin of this road as a military road, see MR 9.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 January 2006.

People and Organisations

References