Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Architecture Notes

Event ID 810798

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/810798

NT57SW 15 5181 7384.

The Fransiscan Friary at Haddington was founded before 1242; it was burned by the English in 1355 and 1544. It was secularised in 1566/7, and it was decided to demolish the friars' church in 1572.

D E Easson 1957

The site of the Fransiscan friary is occupied by the present Episcopal Church (NT 5180 7387).

J Farquharson 1885

Elm House (NT 5183 7382) occupies the site of the Fransiscan friary.

J Miller 1844

The Episcopal Church and Elm House are adjacent and it is therefore reasonable, using the above information, to site the Fransiscan friary at NT 5181 7384.

Visited by OS (BS) 16 July 1975

The Greyfriars Church of Haddington was called 'the Lamp of Lothian' in honour of its magnificence. Part of the foundations of the building and evidently the remains of a graveyard were uncovered in 1878 when workmen built a large drain through the grounds of the friary.

J Robb 1883; R Gourlay and A Turner 1977.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

THe National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, among the 'Uncatalogued

MSS of General Hutton', in Number 31.Vol.1, a pencil Sketch, dated 1782, of

this Abbey Church; and, in Number 32, two engraved prints.

People and Organisations

References