Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 774831

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/774831

NO31SE 96.00 37665 14313

NO31SE 96.01 NO 37795 14511 Railway Goods Shed

NO31SE 96.02 NO 3779 1446 Railway Signal Box

NO31SE 96.03 NO 3781 1452 Railway Coal Staithes

For bridge carrying the A92 public road over this station, see NO31SE 126.

ARCHITECT: Thomas Grainger 1846/7.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NO 377 143). Cupar Station, opened 1847 by the Edinburgh and Northern Rly, architect probably David Bell. A very fine example of a large, early railway station. A two-platform through station with the main offices on the down platform. These are in an ashlar block with a central two-storey building with an oriel window at first-floor level above a pair of elliptical arches; single-storey wings link this with two-storey end-pavillions. On the platform side is a wooden awning supported on cast-iron columns with lotus capitals. At the south end of the station is a road- and foot-bridge, with two semicircular arches and a central elliptical span. In the goods yard are a 4-storey, 2-by-5-bay granary with cart entries on the ground floor, and a range of coal staithes.

J R Hume 1976.

Tudorish, by Grainger and Miller, 1847.

J Gifford 1988.

This intermediate station on the Edinburgh-Dundee (main) line of the former North British Rly was opened on 17 September 1847 by the Edinburgh and Northern Rly. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic, and is highly unusual in retaining semaphore signals.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 22 February 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

People and Organisations

References