Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 727332

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/727332

NX34SE 5 36016 43275.

(NX 3601 4327) Myrton Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Myrton Castle is in two distinct, disconnected parts. The original, early 16th century keep, which was probably c.40' high, occupies the summit of a mound, 20' high and 56' in diameter, surrounded by a well-defined ditch 6' deep, though much filled-up - evidently an earlier motte. All that remains of the keep is a fragment, c.22' square, open to the N, it was converted into a dovecot c.1860. At the base of the motte to the N, there is a large area of level ground before it again rises. This has been used to add an extension to the old structure, possibly in the late 17th century, at a level a storey below its base. There is now no structural connection between the two buildings, though one may have existed. What remains of the later building is L-shaped in plan, with a wide stair in the re-entrant angle. It is also fragmentary, except for the E wing which has been used as a dwelling, and was used for storage in 1911.

The lands of Myrton belonged to the M'Cullochs, and it was visited by James IV, c.1511, the property passed to the Maxwells in 1682.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911.

Myrton Castle is as described. The E wing of the castle appears to be of a later date.

Revised at 1/2500 (earthworks only).

Visited by OS (IA) 31 January 1973

People and Organisations

References