Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 726150

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/726150

NX18NE 1 1512 8972.

(NX 1512 8972) Knockdaw Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1958)

The scant remains of Knockdaw Castle, a seat of the Kennedys (J Paterson 1847) have been utilised as an implement shed. It measured 9m by 6m, and has now been built up with brick and roofed over. The parts of the east, south and west walls which are still standing vary in height from 1.2m on the south to 3.5m on the east and average 0.8m in thickness. They are of mortared rubble masonry and contain no detail to date the building. Traces of a wall spring from the NE and SW angles of the building and seem to have enclosed an irregular area about 28m E-W and N-S. Its height varies from 1m to 0.5m and although a covering of rubbish and vegetation makes its exact outline uncertain, it was possibly a courtyard wall. No foundations of other buildings were noticed.

Visited by OS (JLD) 25 July 1956

The only remains to be seen bare those which form part of the implement shed, which is situated at the SE corner of a quadrangular range of farm buildings.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JP) 10 February 1976

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (JRL) 14 April 1977

The remains of Knockdaw Castle are as described in the previous field reports.

RCAHMS 1981, visited 1981

People and Organisations

References