Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 724544

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/724544

NX46NW 11 4333 6625.

(NX 4333 6625) Site of Larg Tower or Castle of Larg (NR)

OS 6" map (1910)

Nothing is known of Larg Tower beyond the tradition, first recorded in 1684 by Symson, that it was the seat of the family of McKie, who had been granted the estate by Bruce after his wars with England. In a contribution to Macfarlane's Collections compiled 1721-44, probably by Symson, it is mentioned that the building was in ruins. According to George Campbell, OS Surveyor in 1849, only a corner or angle about 20ft high remained of the building. It was certainly a castle and an extensive one judging by the area of ground covered by rubble. The building was not visited by RCAHMS.

Name Book 1849; A Symson 1684; NSA 1845 (T Hogg); W Macfarlane 1906; RCAHMS 1914; J Nicholson 1841

The remains of Larg Tower stand about 2.7m high at the NE corner of a courtyard against the wall of which the outline of several other buildings can be traced. A considerable amount of tumble and field clearance litters the site. The names are known locally.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 12 October 1966

People and Organisations

References