Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 720769

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/720769

NT74SW 3.00 70473 41394

NT74SW 3.01 c. 704 407 Lead ball

(NT 70473 41394) Castle (NAT)

and remains of Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1971).

The existing ruins of Hume Castle are of comparatively recent date, having been raised on the old foundations by the Earl of Marchmont in 1794. Nothing remains of the of the ancient stronghold but the general form and extent of the outer enclosing walls, surrounding a courtyard about 130 ft square (see plan). MacGibbon and Ross note: 'In the centre of the courtyard there is a mass of ancient masonry, but it is impossible to say of what structure it formed part'. It is first recorded in the 12th century, and was demolished by Cromwell in 1651. RCAHMS 1915; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; S Cruden 1963; RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.

None of the original foundations of Hume Castle are visible, the 18th century walls presenting an unbroken uniform surface. The only possible remnant of the old walls is an isolated stretch in the centre of the courtyard, 8m long, 3m high and 1.5m thick. Although the N face of this wall is similar to the 19th century walls, the S face appears to be much older. It is surrounded by an irregular tumbled mass of turf-covered masonry. The well shown on plan is 1.5m in diameter and is lined with squared masonry.

Visited by OS(JFC) 24 January 1955.

People and Organisations

References