Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 713997

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/713997

NT27SE 66 2590 7394.

Dingwall Castle stood on the same site as the Orphan Hospital (Thin 1927; Paton 1933) (at NT 2590 7394 - see NT27SE 137) on ground now occupied by British Railways. It was probably built for John Dingwall, provost of Trinity College Church from 1525-32. In the civil war of 1571-3, it was used as a blockhouse, and later as a prison. Its stones were used for the repair of Trinity College Church in 1643. Gordon's drawing of 1647 shows the ruin as quadrangular, built round an open courtyard, with a circular tower projecting from each corner.

R Thin 1927; H Paton 1933; RCAHMS 1951.

No trace. No further information.

Visited by OS (J D) 26 December 1953.

People and Organisations

References