Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 712074

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/712074

NT16NW 6 10086 69981

(NT 10086 69981) Illieston (NR) (Ruins of)

OS 6" map (1856)

Illieston (NR) (Restored)

OS 6" map (1958)

Illieston, roofless in 1856, is described by MacGibbon and Ross as "recently restored, with its old features well preserved". It was built in the late 16th - early 17th century, and is rectangular on plan, with a projecting stair-tower on. The main block is at present 57'8" long, but it has evidently been designed to extend further W and was later extended, in a low building since removed. Rubble-walled, and with crow-stepped gables, the building is 3 storeys high, with the stair-tower 1 storey higher.

Tranter, calling the building Illieston House, as do the SDD, states it is now in use as a farmhouse, and notes a modern wing to the E.

The date, 1665, on the gateway to the N of the house, is too late for the style of the house.

The name of the property is a corrupiton of Elliston, having belonged to the Ellis family before passing to the Hopes of Hopetoun. In early days the house on these lands is said to ahve been a hunting-seat of the kings of Scotland, notably James II and IV.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1929, visited 1926; N Tranter 1962; SDD List 1964

This house is generally as described.

Visited by OS (BS) 12 August 1974

People and Organisations

References