Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 706839

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/706839

NS92SE 3 95429 21339.

(NS 9543 2134) Tower Lindsay or Crawford Castle (In Ruins)

Moat (NR)

OS 6" map (1912)

The Castle of Crawford is noticed in old records as early as 1175-8. It was in use as a farmhouse until nearly the end of the 18th century, but is now entirely ruinous. It was formerly surrounded by water.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; G V Irving and A Murray 1864.

The architectural remains of Crawford Castle date from the early 17th century but it was probably rebuilt from an earlier 16th century building. The castle is mentioned variously in the 12th, 15th and 16th centuries.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1899

The remains of Crawford Castle are in a very ruinous condition. They are situated on a large artificial mound about 5.0m high, probably the remains of a 12th century motte. Fragments of the courtyard wall, 1.3m high, are situated on the N side of the mound. The surrounding moat is 7.1m wide, but is entirely destroyed on the E. A causeway crosses it opposite the entrnace on the N.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 31 July 1959

Crawford Castle: name verified. The surviving parts of the W, S, and E walls stand up to three storyes high but they are in a poor and decayed state. The silted motte ditch is up to 1.3m deep on the N and S sides. Four stone tablets bearing coats of arms, one with the date 1649, are built into the W and S walls of Castle Crawford House.

Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.

Visited by OS (JRL) 16 August 1978.

People and Organisations

References