Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 706667

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/706667

NS88NE 8 89905 87534

(NS 8990 8753) Cross (NR)

OS 6" map (1967)

The Mercat Cross stands at the NW end of Airth High Street. It consists of a stepped octagonal pedestal, an octagonal shaft with a splayed base, and a square head with a finial apparently representing an acorn. Its total height is 7'2". The SW and SE faces of the head ber shield-shaped sundials, the latter bearing the date 1697, and there are heraldic devices on the NE and NW faces, the latter also having the initials CE on the pediment. They stand for Charles, 9th Lord Elphinstone, who set up the cross.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1955

As described.

Visited by OS (BS) 30 January 1974

People and Organisations

References