Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 706322

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NS88SE 18.00 88729 80025

NS88SE 18.01 8873 8001 Cross

NS87NE 147.00 88739 79985 Churchyard

NS87NE 147.01 88700 79989 Gate

(NS 8873 8001) Falkirk parish church, dedicated to St Modan, was in existence in the later 11th century, though the record of its foundation in 1057 cannot be accepted, as the stone now seen in the church, which bears an inscription to this effect, is bogus.

The medieval building, of 15th century date, was cruciform on plan, with a tower over the crossing and access to the transepts through "lofty arches". The S crossing-piers are still partly visible. The upper part of the tower, as was seen, dates from 1734. Apart from the portions mentioned, the whole structure was demolished and a new church built in 1810. Since the reconstruction a large S porch has been added, abutting the tower in the position of the medieval S transept (see also NS88SE 18.1).

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1955

The church is as described. Several medieval grave-slabs from the graveyard are on display inside the church.

Visited by OS (DWR) 8 February 1974

People and Organisations