Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 705163

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/705163

NS79SE 39.00 79206 93710 Church of the Holy Rude

NS79SE 39.01 79175 93778 Burial-Ground

NS79SE 39.02 79149 93856 Star Pyramid

NS79SE 39.03 79133 93768 Wilson Monument

(NS 7920 9370). Holy Rude Church: By the middle of the 12th century, Dunfermline Abbey owned two churches in Stirling, one of which was no doubt a predecessor of the present parish church. Of the earlier churches that may have occupied the site, very little is known and no fragments survive. In 1414, mention is made of a grant to the work of Stirling parish church which had been burnt; this presumably refers to the repair and restoration of an older church. In 1455 much destruction was done in Stirling after the fall of the Douglases, and the church may well have been damaged or destroyed at that time. In the following year, James II made a grant for building the parish church, and heraldic and architectural evidence confirm that the oldest portion of the present church is of that period. Other periods of building are shown on plan.

A college of secular canons was constituted in the church some time before 1546.

RCAHMS 1963

In normal use.

Visited by OS (JP) 6 December 1973

A watching brief undertaken during repair works to the Church of the Holy Rude in Stirling, particularly improvements to the drainage system around the outside of the building, revealed no structures. Much-disturbed skeletal remains were located in several trenches. These were re-interred.

L Main 1988.

People and Organisations

References