Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 704117

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/704117

NS75SE 4.00 7676 5402.

NS75SE 4.01 76771 54028 Belhaven and Stevenson Mausoleum

(NS 7676 5402) Site of Church (NR)

OS 6" map (1938)

The old Cambusnethan church which stood in the south of the parish near the river Clyde is mentioned in a charter of 1232 and is probably the St Michael's Church mentioned in old charters in 1495. In 1650 the church was abandoned, and a new church erected (Lanark 18 NE 2). All that existed in 1859 were the wall around the burial ground, and the outline of the western portion of the church.

P Brown 1859

No vestige of St Michael's Church remains, except that a slightly raised platform on the west side of the 19th century mortuary vaults may indicate the western outline of the building. It would appear that the vaults occupy the site. There are many 17th century,and possibly earlier, gravestones in the burial ground.

Visited by OS (JLD) 29 September 1953

Cambusnethan church was dedicated to St Nechtan. There was a chapel dedicated to St Michael of the Manor Place of Cambusnethan.

H Scott 1920.

People and Organisations

References