Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 703071

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/703071

NS43SW 3 40848 31699

(NS 4087 3169) Craigie Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1969).

The ruins of Craigie Castle stand on a grassy knoll which appears to have been surrounded by a ditch. It evidently dates from the 15th century, though it is not all of the same period. A wide-splayed shot hole near the entrance passage is probably of 16th century date. The keep, along with another extended building (total size of the block: 98ft N-S by 36ft) has divided the castle into two halves, with an E and W courtyard (see plan in D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889). Craigie was the fee of Walter Hose, under Walter Stewart (about 1136-77), and evidently of his father, whose name is not known, before him. (G W S Barrow 1973). The castle, shown extant about 1300 (J D Galbraith 1975) was allowed to fall into ruins after 1600.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; G W S Barrow 1973; J D Galbraith 1975.

Craigie Castle is now very ruined. The moat is still evident on all sides except the E.

Visited by OS (JLD) 3 June 1954.

Only the N and S walls of the central tower remain in a stable condition, otherwise, the few extant sections of courtyard wall are overgrown and confused by collapsed masonry. From photograph evidence (OS Field Surveyer JLD 1954), there has obviously been a major collapse of the southern courtyard wall in the past thirty years.

There is no suggestion of a complete ditch or moat circuit around the castle. A roughly 100m length of ditch, approximately 10m wide and 1.5m deep, runs along the line of the S courtyard wall, and an isolated 40m length of ditch, of similar proportions, lies to the NW. Both ditches fade at low, marshy ground on the W side.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JRL) 21 June 1982.

People and Organisations

References