Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 696962

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/696962

NR88NE 7.00 c. 853 866

NR88NE 7.01 c. 853 866 stone: cross-incised

NR 854 866. Kilduskland: This name applies to four houses. (1) The site of the original 'Kilduskland' is uncertain; Leitch records that the graveyard was removed for the road, and the church, for the canal. The Statistical Account (OSA 1793) mentions 'a small church on the shore'. Leitch also mentions 'a round tower by the church' used for signalling to Dun Mor, Kilmory (NR88NE 6).

The small 18th century mausoleum of the Campbells of Askomel is at the grid reference given. Dedication to St Constantine.

Name Book 1867; M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964; C Leitch 1904; OSA 1793.

NR 853 866. Local information confirmed the destruction of the church and graveyard. No precise siting was obtained, and no structures other than the 18th century mausoleum were located.

Visited by OS (D W R) 13 June 1973.

People and Organisations

References