Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 691374

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/691374

NO88NE 4 87666 85523

(NO 8766 8551) Cross (NR)

(NO 8765 8551) Cross (NR) (Site of)

OS 1/500 plan, (1864)

Stonehaven Market Cross is a simple stone shaft, square at the base but splayed above, resting on an octagonal base. In 1887 the head of the cross was replaced by the present one - a cross bearing the Marischal Arms. The cross was moved to its present site some years before 1864.

Name Book 1864; F C Eeles 1897; J W Small 1900.

The Market Cross is as described above.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 28 July 1965.

People and Organisations

References