Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 678462

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/678462

NN83SW 1 8296 3289

See also NN83SW 2.

(NN 8296 3289) Clach na Tiom-pan (NAT)

OS 6" map (1901)

A chambered cairn of Clyde-Carlingford type, excavated in 1954. Oriented SE-NW, it measures 190' long x 38' broad in the SE narrowing to 20' in the NW, and stands 5' high in the SE, diminishing until it is negligible in the NW. In plan the ends are rounded. There is no axial chamber or facade but there were four lateral chambers entered from the SW side. Three were excavated; a fourth, visible in 1910, had been totally destroyed. The cairn has evidently been greatly robbed and disturbed, probably in connection with the road which passes it on the SW side.

A S Henshall and M E C Stewart 1956; A S Henshall 1972.

As described and planned. Name confirmed.

Surveyed at at 1:10,000 scale.

Visited by OS (RD) 20 November 1970

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (JP) 7 October 1975.

Scheduled (with NN83SW 2) as 'Clach na Tiompan, long cairn, standing stone and cairn... a chambered cairn of prehistoric date, visible as a stony mound, and the remains of a small circle of standing stones enclosing a small cairn'.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 4 February 2003.

People and Organisations

References