Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 668451

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NJ56NW 6.00 50657 66316

NJ56NW 6.01 50774 66416 Old Cullen (house)

NJ56NW 6.02 50924 65987 Main Entrance, lodges and gates

NJ56NW 6.03 51099 66947 Grant Street entrance gates

NJ56NW 6.04 50633 67188 Seatown Lodge and Gates

NJ56NW 6.05 51183 65548 Lintmill Lodge

NJ56NW 6.06 50522 66250 Icehouse

NJ56NW 6.07 50584 66312 Old Laundry

NJ56NW 6.08 50734 66412 Stables

NJ56NW 6.09 50007 66094 Home Farm

NJ56NW 6.10 50349 65605 Walled Gardens and Gardeners' Cottages

NJ56NW 6.11 5099 6562 Sawmill

NJ56NW 6.12 50444 67231 Temple of Pomona

NJ56NW 6.13 50592 66236 Bridge

NJ56NW 6.14 50950 65724 Iron Bridge

NJ56NW 6.15 50428 66688 Claypots Bridge

NJ56NW 6.16 50692 66080 Ivy Bridge

NJ56NW 6.17 51154 65536 Lintmill Bridge

For Cullen House, Marywell Cottage (NJ 49953 66508), see NJ46NE 33.

For Saint Mary's Collegiate Church (NJ 5072 6635), Cullen, Bede-House or Hospital (NJ 5086 6608), Cullen, Old Town (NJ 507 663) and the house of 'Muldavit' (NJ c. 504 662), see NJ56NW 5, NJ56NW 7, NJ56NW 8, NJ56NW 33 respectively: all these sites lie within the policies of Cullen House.

The policies of Cullen House comprise parts of both Cullen and Rathven parishes.

(NJ 5065 6630) Cullen House (NR)

OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1902)

As early as 1264 mention is made of the house of 'Inverculain'. The six pebends instituted on the founding of the Collegiate Church (56NW 5) in 1543, are thought to have occupied the oldest part of the building. The greater part of the modern house was not erected until the beginning of the 17th century, although the E front, and the building containing the great staircase, date from a century later. The house now forms a simple 'L', more additions having been made about 1858.

The house was plundered during the Montrose wars, and again in 1745.

Country Life 1906; C A Ritchie nd.

Cullen House, in good repair, the residence of the Countess of Seafield, and open to the public, is a large mansion comprising the building periods mentioned above.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 September 1961.

No change.

Visited by OS (NKB) 27 July 1967.

(Classified as Site of Regional Significance). This mansion (the home of the Ogilvies, Earls of Seafield) is situated on a gentle slope at an altitude of 25m OD; it occupies a rocky bluff overlooking the Cullen Burn and succeeds an L-plan tower-house built 1600 on another site, and possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Mention is made of Inverculain as early as 1264. Tower at SE angle with long wing to W of pre-1602 origin. Substantial late 17th/early 18th century building, the principal surviving additions and alterations being those if 19th century date and Scottish Baronial style by David Bryce. The N-facing elevation to the courtyard retains 17th details and earlier fabric. Original entrance to tower in tight angle at S of N-S range; square tower at S of 1668 with some reworking; painted ceiling of c. 1662 in former library.

The mansion was sold by the Earl of Seafield in 1981 to Kit Martin who converted it into self-catering flats. The S and SW portion was badly damaged in 1987 by a fire which destroyed the painted ceiling. Restoration was in progress in 1988.

Architects: Smith and McGill 1709; John and James Adam; James Playfair; David Bryce (1858-9); Douglas Forrest (1982-4).

[List of periodical and newspaper references appended].

NMRS, MS/712/35.

People and Organisations