Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 663644

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NH75NW 7.00 73726 57631

(NH 7372 5763) Ch. (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Sculptured Stone (NAT)

OS 25" map, Ross-shire, (1906)

NH75NW 7.01 7372 5763 Cross-slab ('Rosemarkie no. 1')

NH75NW 7.02 7372 5763 Sculptured stone ('Rosemarkie no. 2')

NH75NW 7.03 7372 5763 Cross-slab ('Rosemarkie no. 3')

NH75NW 7.04 7372 5763 Sculptured stone ('Rosemarkie no. 4')

NH75NW 7.05 7372 5763 Sculptured stone ('Rosemarkie no. 5')

NH75NW 7.06 7372 5763 Cross-slab (possible) ('Rosemarkie no. 6')

NH75NW 7.07 73693 57616 Churchyard Wall, Gates and Gate Piers

NH75NW 7.08 737 576 Sculptured stone

NH75NW 7.09 737 576 Sculptured stone

NH75NW 7.10 737 576 Cross-slab

NH75NW 7.11 737 576 Sculptured stone

NH75NW 7.12 737 576 Sculptured stone

NH75NW 7.13 737 576 Sculptured stone

NH75NW 7.14 737 576 Cross-slab

NH75NW 7.15 737 576 Cross-slab

NH75NW 7.16 737 576 Sculptured stone

NH75NW 7.17 737 576 Sculptured stone

NH75NW 7.18 737 576 Sculptured stone

The modern church of Rosemarkie stands on a site whose Christian history probably dates back to a foundation of St. Moluag, who died in 592, and is said to be buried here. Moluag's monastery was taken over, possibly in 716, by St. Boniface or Curitan, as a Culdie community. He dedicated the church to St. Peter, but it also became known as St. Boniface's.

The Culdie community is thought to have been converted to a Chapter, with the abbot or prior as Bishop, by David I (1124-53). The first mention of the Bishop of Rosemarkie is in 1126, and, according to Pullan, Rosemarkie church was still known as the 'Kyrk-Cathedral' in 1338, although the new cathedral at Fortrose (NH75NW 1) is thought to have been founded about 1235.

The present church was built in 1821. Its predecessor was repaired in 1735 when 'some stone coffins of rude workmanship' were found in a vault.

A Class II cross slab, probably dating from about the 9th century, was found in the floor of the church. (Rosemarkie No. 1) It stands 8' 6" high, and is preserved in the churchyard close to the church.

Four Class III fragments have also been found in churchyard. One of these (Fig 83) (No.2) lies on the grave of Donald Bain. The others are in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS). Rosemarkie No 3- NMAS 127 No 5?-NMAS 1B 120 No 4 - NMAS 1B 119.

A J Beaton 1855; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; A M Philip 1904; N Macrae 1923; L Pullan 1927; R W Feachem 1963.

The church and class II cross-slab, the latter supported in an iron framework close to the west porch, are as described by previous authorities. There is no trace of the class III fragment in the still-used graveyard: Mr Fraser (A S Fraser, Clifton, Rosemarkie) believes it was removed.

Visited by OS (NKB) 16 March 1966.

The cross-slab was removed from near the door of the church several years ago, to be repaired. It is now in Groam House Museum, Rosemarkie.

RCAHMS 1979; Information from Miss F Bassindale, 2 May Court, Inverness.

Class II symbol stone bearing a cross on the face.On the reverse are three wide crescents and V-rods with a wide double-disc and Z-rod,containing a comb, between the second and third. Below these symbols are two small mirrors.

A Mack 1997.

Sculptured slabs; cross slabs - outside survey area.

Later 1st Mill AD.

CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.

People and Organisations