Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 663359

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NH76NW 1.00 70586 65854

NH76NW 1.01 70561 65826 Churchyard and Burial Ground

(NH 7058 6585) St. Michael's Chapel (LB)

OS 6" map, (1959)

St. Michael's Church was the parish church - and the origin of the name - of Kirkmichael, and became in 1662 the church of the combined parishes of Kirkmichael and Cullicudden, now called Resolis.

It continued in use until a new church was built at Resolis in 1767. Thereafter it was allowed to fall into decay.

Part of the centre of the church was re-roofed in the 19th century for use as a mausoleum.

New Statistical Account (NSA, written by Rev D Sage - 1836) 1845; Name Book 1875; W J Watson 1904; H Scott et al 1915-61.

The remains of St. Michael's Church are oriented E to W, and consist of an unroofed chancel and nave. The roofed central portion, measuring 7.1m square, is a private burial place of the Munros of Poyntzfield.

The chancel measures 5.8m by 5.4m externally with walls 0.7m wide. The most interesting feature of the building is the remains of a wall which projects westwards from the NW angle of the mausoleum. It is constructed of poorly-bonded, uncoursed, rubble-masonry, with small stone pinings. It is 3.6m in length, 1.3m high and 0.8m wide, with the remains of an archway visible on its inside face. It obviously pre-dates the mausoleum and chancel in construction, and is probably a section of the original N wall of the church. The name of the church was confirmed locally.

Visited by OS (RB) 21 January 1966.

B listed with remains of chancel dating to the 16th century. The chancel was reused as a burial aisle by the Shaw-Mackenzie's of Newhall. Site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.

S Farrell 2003.

People and Organisations