Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 662084

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/662084

NH64NE 118 66394 45396

Suspension Bridge (FB) [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1992.

Location formerly entered as NH 66353 45366 to NH 66438 45429.

(Suspension bridge of wire rope and truss deck type). Built 1881, probably by C R Manners, engineer, and Rose Streeet foundry, Inverness, contractors. Lattice-girder pylons on cast-iron bases, wire-rope cables, iron rod suspenders, light truss span. Public footbridge.

J R Hume 1977b.

This suspension bridge carries a footpath over the River Ness to the S of Friars' Shot, and at the E end of Greig Street.

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the span. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NH c. 66355 45365 to NH c. 66440 45429.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 29 March 2006.

People and Organisations

References