Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 660894

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/660894

NH56SE 12 5764 6217

At NH 5764 6217 in the gardens of Lemlair (NH56SE 32.00) there is an upright cup-marked stone not in situ, which measures 0.9m x 0.2m x 1.3m high. It bears 20 cup-marks and a cup and ring on its SE face, together with several unusually shaped grooves.

The present owner of Lemlair, Mrs. Humphries, could not give any information concerning where the stone was found or how it came to form the centre piece of the garden rockery. Mrs Humphries has lived here since 1920.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 30 June 1965.

Cup-marked Stone (NR) (moved)

OS 1:10,000, (1971)

No change to previous field report. Photo.

Visited by OS (J B) 18 November 1976.

This slab is situated 30m SSW of Lemlair House (NH56SE 32.00) in an overgrown garden. Its SE face bears some 20 cup marks and a single cup-and-ring mark.

RCAHMS 1979, visited 1978.

People and Organisations

References