Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 659037

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/659037

NG87NW 10 804 779.

In the area centred at NG 804 779 about 300ft OD on the sheltered south eastern slope of the hill above Loch Feur, there are the remains of three hut circles, several greatly mutilated enclosures and the footings of a rectangular building 5.0m x 3.0m. x 0.3m high. The enclosures were constructed with large boulders but are now almost completely overgrown with heather. The hut circles, which have 1.0m wide entrances in the east, apart from 'A', are constructed of large stones forming an inner and outer kerb and small stone infilling. Their dimensions are as follows:

'A' Internally 9.0m in diameter with walls 3.0m thick by 1.0m high. A significant feature of this hut circle is the entrance which is 1.3m wide in the inside and 2.0m on the outside.

'B' Internally 8.0m in diameter with walls 1.7m thick by 0.6m high overgrown with heather.

'C' Internally 6.0m in diameter with walls 1.8m thick by 0.6m high almost completely heather covered.

Surveyed at 1/2500 and 1/10560.

Visited by OS (RD) 8 April 1965; Visible on RAF air photographs CPE/ Scot/UK 183: 1288-9.

R Wentworth 1989.

People and Organisations

References