Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 657892

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/657892

NG33SW 2 328 301.

(NG 328 301) Martin mentions a village at Talisker c.1695 (M Martin 1934) and c.1772 Pennant describes near Talisker House 'the vestiges of some small buildings, and by them a heap of stones with a basaltic column set erect, in the middle'. (presumably a cairn)

Visited by OS (A C) 24 January 1961.

T Pennant 1776; M Martin 1934.

The deserted village of Talisker comprises about 25 ruined buildings with yards and enclosures. This run-rig township with much lazy-bed cultivation in evidence.

The village occupies a W facing shelf below high cliffs on the E side of the Sleadale valley. The probable cairn noted by Pennant was not found and local enquiries were fruitless.

(Visible on RAF air photographs CPE/Scot/UK/274: 3199-20)

Visited by OS (C F W) 2 June 1961.

A township, comprising three unroofed buildings and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1881, sheet xxxvii). Sixteen unroofed buildings and six enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 12 November 1996.

People and Organisations

References