Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 657547

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NG20NE 4 2796 0552

(NG 2796 0552). A 'castle' built on a stack (Coroghon Mor) rising 70-80ft sheer above the sea on three sides and linked to the land by a narrow neck, where ascent of the stack is possible by a track which leads upwards to a roughly rectangular forework of at least two storeys.

The crag was mentioned as a 'refuge' in 1577-95, but no building was referred to, so it may be assumed that the building is post-16th century (W G Collingwood 1906). Appears to be a gatehouse added to a dun (OS 6"map, annotated A L F Rivet 20 June 1961).

D Monro 1884; W Collingwood 1906; RCAHMS 1928.

A small stronghold rather than a castle, built against the N-facing crag of Coroghon Mor. The building is an entity in itself and there is no trace of a dun as suggested by Rivet, nor of any other work.

With walls generally 0.7m thick, the building is constructed of random masonry and utilises the rock face as part of its S and E walls. The high curving N wall is pierced near its E end by a doorway 0.6m wide at the head of a steep path up the crag.

The main room occupies the W half of the castle and measures internally 3.0m N-S by 2.0m with a doorway 0.6m wide towards the S end of its E wall. Under it is a cellar of similar dimensions.

The 'basin' shown on Collingwood's plan is an apparently rock-cut hollow 3.5m x 2.0m by 0.3m deep, of uncertain purpose. The 'pit' is a natural hollow.

Campbell (Mr J L Campbell, Canna House) states that undecorated hand-made pottery sherds in his possession were found at the foot of the crag below the castle.

Visited by OS (A A), 1 June 1972.

On the top of a rock stack, reached by a very steep path. Rubbly remains of a roughly rectangular small tower, probably of the 17th century.

J Gifford 1992.

Coroghon Castle stands on top of a stack at the SE end of the cliffs which form the E end of Canna. The stack juts out into the sea, and is accessible only by a steep path which ascends a narrow neck of land connecting it to the mainland. The castle is traditionally held to have been a prison, used in the late seventeenth century by a jealous husband to confine his wife; Campbell associates this tradition with Donald MacDonald of Clanranald and his wife Marion MacLeod. The castle is illustrated by Pennant at the end of the eigthteenth century; it is shown roofless, but still stands several metres in height.

The surviving portion of the castle occupies the NW angle of the stack's summit, overlooking the approach from the mainland. Built of random rubble, natural rock-faces have been incorporated into its structure to form the walls of internal compartments. A narrow doorway with a dressed stone lintel in its N wall gave access to a small antechamber, and a bar-hole 1.1m deep is visible on its W side. To the rear of this antechamber, opposite the entrance, a series of four rock-cut steps provided access to the upper floor, which comprised two main rooms. The first was directly above and was subdivided into two smaller chambers by a partition wall; at some stage, the northern of the two chambers appears to have been roofed independently, and traces of its pitched roof-line can still be seen on the E face of the main surviving internal wall. The second room on the upper floor, which is the larger, lies on the W and was entered by a gap at the S end of the main internal wall. There are five narrow openings through its N and W walls, all of which are at slightly different heights. A cellar of narrower dimensions lies below this room and has two openings, one in the N wall and one in the W. It is unclear how access was gained to the cellar but it may have been by a trapdoor in the floor of the main upper room.

Little evidence of any other features are visible on the stack, but, given the presence of other forts and duns on the island, it is inconceivable that this impregnable position was not fortified at an earlier date.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG), 21 August 1996

T Pennant 1790; J L Campbell 1984.

People and Organisations