Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 657466

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/657466

NF87NE 2 8646 7545.

(NF 8645 7546) Erd House (NR)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)

Earth-house, Druim na h-Uamha. The RCAHMS state that the site of this earth-house is to be recognised by a sandy hollow in the surface of a mound amid kitchen refuse.

The structure was discovered during ploughing, c. 1861, by the displacement of a roof lintel-slab at a depth of 3ft. Excavation by Carmichael in April 1871 showed it to have been a curved gallery of regular outline 20ft long in an arc of about 50 degres, with vertical parallel walls 5ft 8ins apart and 5ft high. The west end stood at right angles to the side walls but the east end termin- ated in an angular curve. Although robbed of many of its lintel-slabs between 1861 and 1871 one remained in the centre of the gallery and another spanned the walls 4 1/4ft to the west. From this slab to the west end wall the gallery was covered by a domed roof rising to a height of 7 ft from the floor and 4 ft 8 ins wide inside....The apex of this roof was 3ft below ground level.

The gallery was entered in the centre of its south wall by a doorway 2ft 10ins wide at floor level tapering to 2ft 2ins at a height of 2ft 10ins. It was blocked by sand and stones 2 1/2ft beyond its threshold. Above this doorway was a recess or cupboard 1ft 10ins wide and deep and 1ft high. In the north wall were similar recesses.

Opposite the entrance in the middle of the gallery a midden was found containing bones of deer and domestic animals, shells, pottery and the upper half of a small quern.

RCAHMS 1928; A A Carmichael 1874.

As described by the RCAHMS. The exact position of this earth-house was pointed out by Mr J Macdonald (Mr Macdonald, Vallaquie, North Uist) at NF 8646 7545.

Site surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 22 June 1965.

Vallaquie (NF 863754) is listed among a number of sand dune sites in North Uist from which sherds of pottery (classified as iron age in 1979) were donated to National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) by Miss M Harman.

Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1978; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1979.

People and Organisations

References