Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 655334

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


ND23NW 4 2121 3591.

(ND 2121 3591) Appnag Tulloch (NAT)

Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

Appnag Tulloch: The grass-covered ruins of a broch lying on rock outcrop. Excavations in 1910 revealed the entrance passage on the W. The broch has been about 60ft in overall diameter, with walls 12 to 13ft thick. The mound is about 8ft high. At the edge of the rock on the E are the remains of a breastwork which has commanded the easy gradient of approach. On the W, in front of the entrance, disturbances indicate the existence of outbuildings. To the NW two or three large slabs set on end protrude from 1 to 2 1/2ft above ground, but the 'Standing Stones' published (at ND 2120 3590) on the OS map are no longer visible.

RCAHMS 1911.

Appnag Tulloch (name verified) is a broch with vague traces of outbuildings, as described by the RCAHMS.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 12 May 1967.

A single course of outer face shows N of the broch entrance, but otherwise the site is generally as described by the RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (J M) 22 March 1983.

People and Organisations