Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 655331

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/655331

ND33NW 1 3102 3949

(ND 3102 3949) Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1971)

A robbed broch represented by a turf-covered stony mound about 10ft high and 50ft in diameter, surrounded at a distance of about 31ft, by a wall about 4 1/2ft high which stands on the inner lip of a ditch about 28ft broad and 3 1/2ft deep from the top of the counterscarp. Except on the W, the ditch has been almost destroyed by cultivation.

RCAHMS 1911; R W Feachem 1963.

A broch, as described. The outer wall-face is visible in the S arc as a single, disconnected course of heavy stone. Ground disturbance and protruding upright slabs in the berm to the W of the broch indicate the presence of outbuildings. No name is known locally.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B), 3 May 1967.

People and Organisations

References