Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 652246

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/652246

NC91NE 28 991 190.

(Centred NC 991190) Enclosures (NR) (Three shown A-C)

(NC 9913 1903) Earth House (NR).

OS 6" map, 1964.

There are two hut circles (A and B) of which one (A) incorporates an earth-house.

J M Joass 1873; RCAHMS 1911.

Three enclosures (A-C) can be identified.

Visited by OS (W D J) 20 May 1960.

On a gentle W-facing moorland slope, above the gorge of Allt Cille Pheadair on the E side, is a settlement of three hut circles (A-C). Hut A, the best-preserved, measures 10.0m diameter within a massive wall, 1.5m maximum height, which is spread to 3.0m broad, widening to 5.0m at the entrance in the SSE arc. This entrance is club-shaped and choked with debris. Occasional slabs on edge indicate the remains of the inner wall face. The souterrain as described by RCAHMS is virtually complete and accessible along its whole length of 10.0m. It is of dry-stone construction roofed with flags. It measures 0.7m wide and 0.9m high at the entrance on the SW side of the hut, increasing to a maximum of 1.3 wide and 1.4m high. Towards the end of the passage, an opening has been cleared in the roof. The other huts are less substantial and peat-overgrown. B, set into the slope is 12.0m in diameter within a mutilated wall spread to 2.0m broad. A slight dip in the wall in the SW arc probably indicates the entrance. C measures 10.5m N-S by 8.5m within a wall spread to 3.0m broad. It is set into a W-facing slope. The entrance was presumably in the S but no details survive.

There is no trace of cultivation plots, and apart from a rickle of stones nearby, no clearance. However the surrounding ground is smooth and relatively stone-free suggesting some form of cultivation.

Visited by OS (N K B) 19 July 1976.

Scheduled as 'Kilphedir, hut circle and souterrain...'

Information fron Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 8 November 2000.

People and Organisations

References