Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 650151

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NC71NE 3 767 158.

(NC 767 158) Gobernuisgach (OS 6" map, 1963) the remains of a small depopulated settlement which is shown as 'Tupponseach' a group of six buildings with arable in 1747 (Roy 1747-55). It is probably the 'Cupernahoist' mentioned as being in the possession of one small tenant and under crop in 1812, and is almost certainly one of the small holdings cleared when the Polly sheep-farm was set up in 1814 (Adam 1972).

By 1872 only a shepherd's house was occupied (ONB 1872).

W Roy 1747-55; Name Book 1872; R J Adam 1972.

A modern stone-walled sheepfold occupies most of the area. Inside the fold are the slight remains of two rectangular stone buildings and to the east of the fold are a few scattered remains of similar structures. The buildings range from 35m by 4m to 10m by 4m and the walls average about 0.4m in height.

Visited by OS (W D J) 14 July 1961.

A township comprising three roofed buildings, one of which is marked as a corn mill, three unroofed buildings, two enclosures and some field walls is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet lxxxvii). One roofed and four unroofed buildings, a sheepfold, a sheep pen, an enclosure and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1963).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 October 1995

People and Organisations