Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 648778

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/648778

NC13SE 4 153 314.

Glen Lerag: Shown as a group of four buildings surrounded by arable depopulated by 1878 (J Home 1747).

W Roy 1747; OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1878); J Home 1774-5.

About 20 buildings shown.

J Home 1774-5.

The area centred at NC 153 314 contains the remains of approximately twenty rectangular buildings, and several sheep folds and small enclosures. There are also indications that the area has been cultivated. The remains now consist of low dry stone walls, the western buildings have rounded corners and appear to be earlier. The name Glenlaraig now applies to a farmstead and cottage at the head of Loch Nedd, there is no evidence of an earlier settlement at this spot. Visited by OS (G H) 18 May 1962.

The deserted township of Gleann Leireag (current spelling) is as described by the previous field investigator. The building footings range in size from 4.0m by 4.0m to 17.0m by 4.0m and average 0.5m high.

Visited by OS (J B) 14 August 1980.

A township comprising one unroofed building and three enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lix). Twenty-one unroofed buildings and five enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1967).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 6 September 1995.

People and Organisations

References