Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 648424

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/648424

NC21SW 5 2343 1314 and 2350 1312.

Situated on two slight knolls at NC 2343 1314 and NC 2350 1312 are two cairns.

'A': The SE cairn is 1.5m high and is overgrown but with some protruding stones, including some in the SW quadrant which look like part of a kerb. It has two slight 'horns' of earth and stone protruding from the NW side.

'B': The other cairn consists of a grass-covered platform up to 1.7m high with a pile of small stones up to 0.8m high around a central chamber and entrance passage. The chamber is polygonal and the passage entrance, with a large lintel stone in situ, is on the SE. A narrow spur of stones on the NW side of the main cairn may be the remains of 'horns' on this side.

Visited by OS (G H P) 4 June 1962.

Cairn 'B' is an Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn with a polygonal chamber, about 20' long, divided into two compartments.

A S Henshall 1972.

No change.

Visited by OS (J M) 29 July 1980.

OS plans and photos

People and Organisations

References