Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 647262

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NB45NW 1 43280 59315

(NB 433 593) Teampull nan Cro'Naomh (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1898)

The Object Name Book describes the church as ' The ruin of a church on the sea shore, which is about 45 links long, by 30 links wide. Its walls are about 5 feet high. Tradition says nothing about it, beyond that it was much visited to by Catholics in former times; so much so that they came from all the adjacent islands on a pilgrimage to it. It was built of stone and mortar with a loft. Attached to it is a grave yard in which are two vaults'.

Name Book 1852

"Holy Cross Church in Galan" listed.

M Martin 1934.

"Teampull nan Cro'Naomh..., situated within an old grave-yard".

"The two gables are destroyed, and the earth outside the church reaches almost to the wall-heads". Despite Martin's version, "as it stands the name would appear to mean Church of the Holy Blood".

RCAHMS 1928, visited 28 June 1921.

"Part of the outer walls remain, in a crumbling condition"

OS Reviser (W S) 21 June 1956.

Teampull nan Cro' Naomh, at NB 4329 5931, is as described and planned by the Commission. The graveyard is still in use and the name is still known locally.

Visited by OS (N K B) 16 June 1969.

This chapel site was included in a research project to identify the chapel sites of Lewis and surrounding islands. The Lewis Coastal Chapel-sites survey recorded 37 such sites.

R Barrowman 2005

People and Organisations