Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 644528

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/644528

HY41SW 15 4489 1089 and 4494 1087.

(HY 4487 1089) Cross (NR)

OS 25" map, Orkney, 1st ed.,(1881).

'Town Cross - This cross now stands on the high ground at the E. end of Broad St., almost opposite the W. gable of the Cathedral, but the original site was near the foot of the Strynd. (B H Hossack 1900) Its N. face bears the date 1621.'

RCAHMS 1946.

The cross shaft and head are now preserved inside St Magnus Cathedral, against the east wall of the north transept. A replica has been erected on the original base, at HY 4489 1089, which is in situ.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 5 April 1964.

People and Organisations

References