Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 641282

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/641282

HU30NE 2 3878 0839.

(HU 3878 0839) Brough (NR)

OS 6" map, Shetland, 2nd ed., (1903).

A gatehouse fort, probably datable to about 100 BC, isolated by a rampart, with a ditch on either side, cutting across the neck of the peninsula on which it stands.

The site was excavated by Miss C L Mowbray in 1935.

C L Mowbray 1936; RCAHMS 1946, visited 1930; E W MacKie 1965; R G Lamb 1980.

A gatehouse fort as described and planned by RCAHMS. At HU 3877 0855, the spread remains of a stone wall, now evident as a low turf covered bank, cuts off the whole promontory, and may possibly be associated with the 'fort'.

Visited by OS(RL) 2 May 1968.

In 1983, a single cutting was made through the enclosure bank at a point at its N end where it was being actively eroded by the sea, to record its structure and recover dating evidence. No artefacts were found.

S Carter, R McCullagh and A MacSween 1995.

People and Organisations

References