Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Excavation

Date 5 September 1998 - 12 September 1998

Event ID 625578

Category Recording

Type Excavation

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/625578

NG 2745 0490 An archaeological survey and small-scale excavation was conducted at the site of Point House, Sanday, Canna, in September 1998. The work was conducted in advance of conversion to accommodation. The nearby St Edward's Church (NG20SE 25) was also to be affected by the development, and was also surveyed.

Point House is a 19th-century rectangular domestic structure, comprising two separate buildings with a shared gable. The church was erected between 1885-89, and is currently in a state of disrepair.

The survey and excavation at Point House has elucidated the developmental sequence, with the southerly component originally being a free-standing structure. The N building was added, both structures apparently serving as domiciles for a period thereafter. Porch abutments were later added, and the roof replaced. The southern building was then abandoned, and turned over to use as a byre, while the northern building continued in use until relatively recently.

The church is to undergo alterations which are wholly reversible, and the interior fabric was drawn, photographed and recorded prior to the commencement of the work.

Kirkdale Archaeology

Sponsor: National Trust for Scotland

A Dunn 1999

People and Organisations

References