Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Field Visit

Date 16 August 2002

Event ID 612938

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/612938

Stone inscribed panel with carved angel's head and wing on either side, with a swag of fruit and flowers between them running through lower corners of plaque.

Thomas Moodie left money in 1649 for building a church in the Grassmarket.

Inspected By : D.King

Inscriptions : On cartouche at bottom of coat of arms (gilded letters): T.M.

On plaque (gilded letters): IN 1688 KING JAMES VII / ORDAINED THAT THE MORTIFICATION / OF THOS. MOODIE GRANTED IN 1649 TO / BUILD A CHURCH SHOULD BE APPLIED / TO THE ERECTION OF THIS STRUCTURE

Signatures : None

Design period : 1688-1691

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0535)

People and Organisations

References