Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 20 May 2000

Event ID 612692

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


Two massive scrolls with leaf and flower carving, built into the south wall of the stable block at Redford House.

At the west end of the stable block are the top halves of two Ionic pilasters and a niche which contained the statue of George II when the niche was on the old Royal Infirmary.

Originally on the Royal Infirmary, built by William Adam in 1738 (demolished 1884). Drummond Scrolls is the name of the stable block of Redford House, built c.1884 by the then owner R. A. Macfie of Dreghorn.

Inscriptions : Below niche between Ionic pilasters (raised letters): GEORGIVS II REX

On stone on ground (incised letters): GEORGE DRUMMOND / To whom / His Country is indebted / for all the Benefits / which it derives from / THE ROYAL INFIRMARY

Signatures : None

Design period : c. 1738 (Royal Infirmary)

Year of unveiling : 1884

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0380)

People and Organisations