Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Conservation

Date October 2008

Event ID 607636

Category Building History

Type Conservation

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/607636

NN 1270 7016 to NN 1267 7011 This well preserved vitrified fort (SAM 2893) was subject to a small programme of erosion repair and path work in October 2008. The fort is situated in an impressive and evocative location. It has great archaeological potential, both in terms of buried archaeological deposits and in structural detail, and as a monument in its own right within the wider landscape. Visitor access is assured and encouraged by the construction of a well-built ‘link’ path leading from the West Highland Way.

The fort is situated on a prominent knoll on the N-facing spur of Sgurr Challum, above and to the E of Glen Nevis.

The fort consists of an upper citadel that measures c20m from N to S by c15m transversely within a well preserved grass-covered vitrified wall 4m thick and up to 2.5m in height internally. There are several impressive exposures of vitrification in the wall. A lower enclosure extends to the W, the two areas identified by a well defined break of slope, a change in the direction of the enclosing wall and different interior topography, the citadel consisting of a level terrace and the lower enclosure defined by undulating terrain. The lower enclosure measures c30m from E–W by c28m transversely. An entrance is visible in the lower W end, defined by a slight hollow in the enclosing wall that measures c2m in width.

FCS Forest District staff repaired the erosion caused by visitor pressure on the N flank of the fort and crossing its rampart by cutting turfs from outside the scheduled area and carefully placing them in the exposed ruts and hollows. The access path was then relocated around the NW flank of the fort, its new route indicated by regular strimming, following the line of the original approach. The path work started at the base of the slope (at NN 1270 7016) and continued around the NW flank of the knoll to meet the original entrance (at NN 1267 7011). Along this new route the turf was lifted in steeper areas, the path levelled slightly (by no more than 0.5m in width and up to 0.1m in depth) and then the turf re-laid. The FCS Archaeologist was present to record any archaeological deposits present. No features or deposits of archaeological significance were observed. A

temporary sign was erected to explain the purpose of the works and attempt to modify visitor behaviour.

Matt Ritchie – Forestry Commission Scotland

People and Organisations

References