Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Construction

Date 1862

Event ID 551216

Category Building History

Type Construction

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/551216

This lighthouse was established in 1862, the engineers being David and Thomas Stevenson. In 1876, it was the location of the first fog signal (of American design) to be installed in Scotland. It was electrified in 1968, the light having a maximum intensity of 3 million candlepower. A high power Racon beacon was installed in the same year, but was subsequently replaced by a low-power self-operating type. The lighthouse also became the radio reporting station for the lighthouses in the Forth estuary.

R W Munro 1979.

People and Organisations

References