Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Date 7 March 2006

Event ID 551165

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Note


This rock or stack loghthouse stands on the gun-platform to the E of the 'old castle' (NT68NW 1), and close to the East Landing [name: NT 602 872]. From this position low down on the S side of the island, the short tower guards the relatively narrow passage between the island and North Berwick, rather than the main entrance into the Firth of Forth, from which it is hidden by the main mass of the island.

The lighthouse was built by D A Stevenson in 1902, and was apparently demanned during the Second World War. It was one of the last seven lighthouse in the Northern service to be lit by paraffin, not being automated until 1986.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 March 2006.

People and Organisations