Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date October 1983

Event ID 1200644

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1200644

NO88NE 22 8843 8731

The roofless ruin of this chapel stands within a curvilinear, walled burial-ground at the head of the cliffs 100m SSE of Cowie golf course clubhouse and 180m NNE of Cowie Castle (NO88NE 21). Rectangular on plan, it measures 20.45m by 5.45m within wall 0.9m in thickness; there are three lancets in the E gable and an aumbry in the N wall. The eastern portion of the chapel appears to be of 13th-century date. The building was originally 13.75m long but during the 16th century it was renovated and enlarged; in the 19th century a barrel-vaulted chamber was added to the W gable. The chapel comes on record in 1276.

RCAHMS 1984, visited October 1983.

(A P Forbes 1872; W Kelly 1889; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; J B Burnett 1927)

People and Organisations

References