Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
Standing Building Recording
Date 4 May 2016 - 10 June 2016
Event ID 1187326
Category Recording
Type Standing Building Recording
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1187326
The Pathology Building, 78 Church Street was founded in 1889 by Dr J. Coats, first professor of Pathology at the hospital, and is listed Category C. It was originally built as a pathology block. It is well detailed in Scots Renaissance style, with a high-quality gable elevation facing onto Church Street.
The Pathology Building has nine bays with uniformity in window size on all three floors. An outshot portico block is situated at the north end that fronts a stair tower. At the northern end it has a parapet balustrade. The roof contains the third floor mezzanine block, clad with slate with a mansard profile and lit with a row of windows.
The gable fronting Church Street, is largely unaltered and comprised a 3-bay elevation and ashlar-built crow-step gable with a segmental pediment obelisk at its centre. The fenestration was varied with a single pedimented window at ground level flanked by a broken step plinth-course. Above was a larger window with ornate sculpted pediment and surrounding columns. Set back on the north side was the elevation containing the mansard roof. Below this was a large blind rectangular window with pilaster columns and an advanced cornice.
Information from M. Cressey - CFA Archaeology Ltd.
OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-256203