Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Field Visit

Date August 1979

Event ID 1145888

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1145888

Tofts HY 3731 3257 HY33SE

The house of Tofts is the centrepiece of the cleared tunship of Ouandal, but it was perhaps once a tunship in itself; it is documented back to 1601 and has been claimed to be the oldest two-storeyed house in Orkney. The building, which has crow-stepped gables and double-splayed windows fitted for glass, is ruinous and it is structurally giving cause for concern.

RCAHMS 1982, visited August 1979

(Clouston 1924, 11-14; Harris, undated; Thomson 1981, 43-7; OR 485)

People and Organisations

References